The best lunches to eat for weight loss: Dietitian shares her four go-to midday meals – and there are no boring salads or expensive foods in sight
- Dietitian Susie Burrell has shared her top four lunches to eat for weight loss
- She recommends substantial salads with protein and soup with a sandwich
- She also says stuffed potatoes and leftovers make for great midday options
An Australian dietitian has revealed her list of go-to lunches for those trying to lose weight and burn fat – and they’re far from boring salads and tiny portions.
Susie Burrell, the Sydney-based founder of Shape Me, said her number one recommendation is a ‘thick soup’ made with a decent portion of meat or vegetables and a sandwich.
‘Not only will the vegetable bulk in the soup help to keep you full but the serve of carbs and protein via some egg, tuna or chicken on a sandwich or wrap will fill you for several hours,’ Susie said.
‘The key is to make sure the sandwich or wrap are small, not the jumbo size serves we generally have access to in food courts.’
Susie Burrell (pictured), the Sydney-based founder of Shape Me, said her number one recommendation is a ‘thick soup’ made with a decent portion of meat or vegetables and a sandwich
Susie recommends including a decent portion of meat or vegetables in your soup, otherwise you will be hungry soon after or throughout the day
What are Susie’s top four lunch options?
– A bowl of vegetable soup as well as a small sandwich or wrap
– A substantial salad with 2-3 cups of salad ingredients along with a palm sized portion of protein, a decent serve of carbs and a serve of good fat from some olive oil dressing
– Leftovers (stir fry with brown rice, a serve of pasta with tuna and salad or mini frittata muffins and salad)
– A stuffed potato with protein and delicious sides such as avo, cheese, a little sour cream, chili or mayo and serve with salad
Instead of a bland salad, for a second option Susie recommends jam-packing a salad with delicious, healthy ingredients full of nutrients and protein.
Rather than a few leaves of lettuce and a tin of tuna, include two or three cups of salad, a palm sized portion of your choice of protein, a decent serve of carbs and an olive oil dressing.
Selected proteins can include chicken breast, lean lamb, salmon and a couple of eggs, while carbs may include half or one cup of brown rice, sweet potato or beans.
‘Remember that you are always better to make your own salad as food court options tend to be packed with extra fats and calories coming from cheese, nuts and lashings of dressing,’ she explained.
If you do the following every day, you will see results:
* Skip your morning coffee or get rid of the milk in your coffee
* Only eating in an eight hour period each day, leaving 12-14 hours overnight without food
* Keep your dinner small and light
None of these strategies are strict, nor advocating a diet mentality and are rather sustainable strategies that will support weight control long term.
Some may be surprised that stuffed potato is third on Susie’s weight loss lunch list, but it’s a great meal with an ideal amount of carbs that is usually filled with protein and vegetables.
Similarly to the salad, select your preferred protein such as chicken, salmon, tuna or beans and top with a nutritious side of cheese, avocado, chili or mayonnaise.
Serve with a fresh salad and this may become your new favourite lunchtime meal.
While leftovers from the night before may not be as satisfying as enjoying a hot meal, they’re another convenient lunch meal selected for weight loss and the fourth option on the list.
A stuffed potato is also on Susie’s list as it’s a great meal that includes carbs, protein and greens. Select your preferred protein such as chicken, salmon, tuna or beans and top with a nutritious side
‘The beauty with leftovers is not only that they are cost effective but you can completely control your calorie intake and as it is lunch you can also include a decent serve of carbs via rice, pasta or potato without impacting your weight loss attempts,’ Susie said.
Good leftover add-ons may include a serve of pasta with tuna, stir fry with brown rice or mini frittata muffins and salad.
By incorporating some or all of these lunchtime meals into your diet, you will quickly achieve your weight loss goals.
Source: Read Full Article