A woman who attended Astroworld Festival back in November 2021 says Travis Scott and the organisers of the event were to blame for the death of her unborn child.
Shanazia Williamson and her husband Jarawd Owns are suing the rapper, organisers Live Nation and other companies alongside 700 others for sustaining injuries, needing “extensive treatment” following the crowd crush, suffocating thousands of people.
Almost 5,000 festival goers reported ailments relating to the mass crush.
Astroworld was organised by Scott, his label Cactus Jack, Live Nation, ScoreMore, Apple and local security companies.
They all face claims from numerous concert-goers who attended the gig.
The festival took place on November 5, 2021 in Travis’ hometown of Houston, Texas.
According to the lawsuit, the couple claimed that Shanazia suffered a miscarriage after being trampled and crushed as part of the crowd attending the festival.
She allegedly suffered "horrific injuries and ultimately the death of her and Jarawd’s unborn child".
It remains unclear how long after the festival she lost her baby, neither is it apparent how old the foetus was at the time of death.
Shanazia suffered injuries to her shoulder, chest, stomach, leg as well as other parts of her body.
The suit put forward alleges that the defendants didn’t organise enough security personnel and medical professionals.
It also says that the defendants did not recognise the health hazards, failing to plan, design, operate, staff, supervise and mange the event, resulting in the alleged death of the foetus.
This also pertains to security companies, ASM Global, Harris County Sports and Valle Services SMG who have also been named as defendants.
Shanazia and Jarawd hail from Dayton, Ohio, and filed their lawsuit in December 2021.
A gag order was put in place in February, so the couple’s attorneys Jason Itkin and Kurt Arnold are bound by the law, stopping them from releasing any further information to the public.
It has been confirmed that 10 people lost their lives at Astroworld, including young Ezra Blount, who lost his life aged just nine years old.
Ezra was separated from his dad during the disaster, after his father passed out from being unable to breathe and the two fell to the floor. He was subsequently crushed and passed away, survived by his father.
At 8:30 pm fans rushed to the stage, for the countdown clock. The stage read “See ya on the other side.”
As soon as Travis hit the stage, chaos ensued and it wasn’t until 9:38 pm a Mass Casualty Incident was declared by Houston Fire Department.
Like what you see? Then fill your boots…
There's MUCH more where that came from! Want all the jaw-dropping stories from the world of showbiz and up to the minute news from TV and soaps?
Well, we've got you covered with our showbiz, TV and soaps newsletters – they'll drop straight into your inbox and you can unsubscribe whenever you like.
We'll bring you the inside track from telly expert Ed Gleave and soap specialist Sasha Morris. Oh, and your daily fix of Piers, Katie Price, Demi Rose and all your other Daily Star favs.
You can sign up here – you won't regret it…
Scott was warned to close early at 9:59 pm but the concert ended at 10:15 with the song Goosebumps.
The police told the Houston Chronicle that Live Nation decided to cut the set, but Travis continued to perform.
The organisers, including Travis were brandished as “negligent” by concert-goers for failing to stop the performance while the crowd repeatedly screamed for help, fighting for breath after being sucked into a whirlpool of people.
Scott and the other involved defendants vehemently deny culpability and responsibility of the injuries and deaths that occurred in the face of allegations they ignored signs attendees were in grave danger.
In the days that followed the tragedy, Travis offered to cover funeral costs for families of loved ones who died.
"Over the last week, Travis Scott and his team have been actively exploring routes of connection with each and every family affected by the tragedy through the appropriate liaisons" the statement read.
"He is distraught by the situation and desperately wishes to share his condolences and provide aid to them as soon as possible, but wants to remain respectful of each family’s wishes on how they’d best like to be connected".
"To those families who would like to reach out directly to his team, please send an email to the below address where we will have a team on hand to assist [[email protected]]".
However, many rejected his offer.
For more of the latest showbiz news from Daily Star, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.
Source: Read Full Article